By Main Ingredient
Lemon Basil Cake
PREP TIME: 5 minutes COOK TIME: 40-45 minutes SERVES: 9
- 300 people
Lemon Basil Cake uses the wonderful combination of lemon and basil to
turn ordinary vanilla cake into something unique and delicious. It
might sound a bit odd to put an herb like basil in a cake, but think of
how mint is often used in a similar way.
For this recipe, you'll be adding the lemon and basil ingredients to
Trader Joe's vanilla cake mix. If you prefer to make your cake from
scratch, just add the lemon and basil to your favorite vanilla cake
recipe in the same manner described below. Slice and serve topped with
fresh berries - blueberries are a perfect complement to the flavors of
this cake. The cake is already quite sweet, so I prefer it with fresh
fruit or whipped cream, but you can also drizzle it with a sauce such as
Wild Maine Blueberry Fruit Sauce, right before serving.
- 1 Package Trader Joe's Vanilla Cake & Baking Mix (requires 2 eggs, 1 stick melted butter or 1/2 cup oil, and 1 cup cold milk)
- Zest of 2 lemons, about 2 Tbsp (use a lemon zester to make it easy)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2.) Mix together cake batter as directed. When the batter is smooth, stir in lemon zest and basil.
- 3.) Spread batter in oiled 8x8-inch pan. Bake 40-43 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 4.) Cool and remove from pan. When serving slices, top with blueberries or whipped cream.